The cold winter weather arrived just before the holidays, and with it came the cold and flu. So far (*knock on wood*) I’ve been able to dodge the nasty bug, but many around me haven’t been so fortunate.
This week, I dial back to time spent with my dear friend Jennie and our Infuse Your Life With Wellness discussion, to share what she’s taught me on bringing relief to cold and flu symptoms through essential oils, including how they can disinfect our homes and offices, and create a calm and cozy space.
Ever since I discovered essential oils, I have been constantly amazed at the relief and results they bring to body and mind. Below, I’m sharing some “recipes” I enthusiastically adopted (with Jennie’s guidance) in my own space and also shared with family and friends.
Flu, Cough and Cold
In any home / office space, add to your favourite diffuser filled with water…
- Frankincense – 5 drops
- Tea Tree – 5 drops
- You can find a variety of affordable diffusers at Homesense or Winners
For your body (and mind), apply…
- Peppermint, Thieves, or Rosemary to the vita flex points on your feet, chest, back, or any place where the flu has settled.
General Household Disinfectant
- In a 16-ounce spray bottle (glass or aluminum), place 10 drops each of Lemon, Thieves, and Purification*.
- Add 2-3 drops of Thyme (I’ve even added a fresh sprig of Thyme). Fill with water.
- I use this mixture daily on my kitchen and bathroom counters, taps, mirrors, appliances and door knobs. It not only disinfects but also smells wonderful. The bonus – it’s all natural!
For the mind and body…
- In your favourite diffuser filled with water, add 8 – 10 drops of Thieves or Eucalyptus (or a blend of both), and diffuse.
Essential Oils Bath
For the body and mind (relaxation, soothing, balance, and well-being)…
- The perfect way to cap off a cold winters day, whether having spent the day trapped indoors with the flu or out and about between errands and meetings, is an essential oils bath.
- Jennie gave me this secret: “Do not throw away your empty essential oil bottles.”
- Instead, place them upside down in a jar of sea salts (I purchase jugs of epsom salts at Costco or Walmart and fill smaller bottles), and let the remaining oils soak into the salts. After about an hour or so, remove the bottles and stir the salts – voila – a little piece of heaven for your tub!
- Package the salts in mason jars and add a scoop to your bath. This makes for a peaceful and “scent-sational” soak!
No matter how you infuse your mind, body, or living or work space with essential oils, finish the night with a cozy pair of jammies (I love my Sleep Shirt PJ set), and crawl into bed with a cup of tea and a good book (or… a fashion and home decorating magazine). Glorious!
Why? Because you deserve to be warm and well on a cold winter’s day or night, and we all know that catching that flu as soon as it starts is the way to beat it. When we are rested, we are happier, more energetic, balanced, and productive. Fill up your diffusers, disinfect your space, and take that bath to ease your body and mind. Because you can!
*Purification is a Young Living oil blend of lemongrass, rosemary, melaleuca, myrtle and citronella.
Essential oils and diffuser: Young Living
Photos: Casey Nolin Photography
D by denise Journal is published bi-weekly. To subscribe and receive directly to your inbox click here.