This week, I let the spring colours fly and curated the modern middle-aged woman’s “best dresses for spring” – sharing them with my friends at The Fine Line: a leading North American voice for women over 45 that explores all aspects of “the good life”. It meant so much to collaborate with this strong, authentic, and powerhouse team of women. Today, I share my favourites, hand-selected for the style and functionality needed by the modern woman. I had fun choosing and accessorizing these dresses, and “dancing like nobody was watching” as Casey (my talented photographer) clicked away!
Spring fabrics should be soft and sexy – which is exactly what our body needs by this time each year. Floral prints and bold colours are on-trend this spring, but a classic soft cotton is also a staple that creates versatile looks. Here are a few of my fresh finds and favourite brands for spring, and a few tips on day-to-night looks we all need for “life on the go” (including a special offer from Hilary Druxman jewelry). Enjoy!
Club Monaco offered three pretty and different styles in their latest spring arrivals:
- The Germaine Silk Dress offers a soft floral print, silk fabric and open neck – perfect for a Mother’s Day brunch, bridal shower, or evening cocktail party with a soft fringed wrap draped over. A neutral cropped blazer can be added for cooler days while maintaining feminine sophistication. Add chunky rose quartz jewelry (like a bracelet and earring) and your look is set! (Read on for a special offer from Hilary Druxman…)
- The Saffra Dress offers a classic polka dot print with feminine ruffles. I added “edginess” with a cropped leather moto jacket and kept jewelry simple: a drop pearl earring and mix of silver and pearl on my wrist. Throw on a black cropped blazer for the office with a black pump, or change to an ankle wrapped heel for an evening on the town – and add a pop of bright pink or red to your lip.
- The Quynh Silk Dress offers a twist to a classic cut that’s easy to transition from day to night with different footwear. I wore a neutral heel, but a flat or a sneaker works for daytime. Wear it belted for a different look and throw on a denim jacket to add texture. I kept jewelry simple with classic freshwater pearls in a drop earring and bracelet. Keep makeup soft, and add some gloss to a pink lip.
- The soft denim Amanda dress is easy to wear and moves gracefully. I loved the comfort of sneakers and the add of a silk scarf on my wrist. Wear this dress buttoned to the neck or undone enough to show a pretty necklace. Dress it up with a heel at night and a pop of a bright pink lip.
- The classic Krystle cowl neck a-line dress comes in several prints, and this spring floral says pretty and functional. The cut is flattering for all body shapes – wear it loose or belted – or throw on a solid blazer, sweater, sandal or spring boot to change the look. Keep jewelry simple – with pearls or diamonds – definitely a smile and feel good!
MPG Sport’s spring line has two great classic silhouette dresses:
- Both the Runway Mock Neck dress and the Catwalk Center Seam dress are “no brainers” – just throw on and go! These dresses are meant for fun. The breathable, moisture-wicking fabric is soft, comfortable, and travels well (no wrinkles from the suitcase!).
- A blazer, leather or denim jacket can transform the look dependent on footwear. I loved adding the Diva Patterned Bomber Jacket. Add a silk twist around your neck with your favourite scarf or a long necklace (I wore a lariat and labradorite necklace with irregular hoop earrings).
Anthropologie is showcasing some bold colour this spring and this dress (just received in store) has beautiful movement. I loved the hemline and bold rainbow colourful stripe. This feminine piece can handle walking along the shore in bare feet, lunch with girlfriends, and a night dancing in heels! Pair with a black onyx bracelet and hoop earrings, and leave the neckline bare or add a simple pendant necklace.
I danced like nobody was watching in Free People’s Gorgeous Jess Wrap Maxi Dress! An absolute favourite – this dress moved like no other and the ruffled detail added further femininity. I will definitely wear this to an upcoming spring fashion show with girlfriends!
It feels so good to shed winter wardrobes and welcome the fresh, colourful, and bold fabrics of spring – there’s something so energetic about budding trees and the confidence of wearing something fresh and new. And…only until midnight Friday (April 6/18), D by denise readers can enjoy a 10% discount* on Hilary Druxman jewelry by using checkout code DENISE.
It’s the perfect time to layer sparkle into spring! Add a new lipstick and nail polish to your new favourite dress, and get out there and strut your stuff as a modern middle-aged woman. Why? Because we can!
Photography: Casey Nolin Photography
Jewelry: Hillary Druxman
*excludes Good Works philanthropy pieces by HD
D by denise Journal is published bi-weekly. To subscribe and receive directly to your inbox click here.