When I’m leaving on a jet plane, there are a few essential items and “rituals” I follow to make travel easier. Here are a few of my favourite go-to’s for a weekend away, or a weeklong business trip on the coast.
To Pack (…in addition to the required pieces to complete your wardrobe)
- Great tote or knapsack to act as your purse with your carry on
- An extra tote packed (folded) – Longchamp are my favourite!
- A small wristlet or handbag
- Sunglasses and reading glasses
- Small toiletry containers (what do you really need?) and travel cosmetic brushes
- The makeup bag (mix and match): my travel faves are eyeshadow quads or sticks, a staple lipstick, powder or mineral powder (instead of a foundation or BB cream), and a moisturizing lotion with a sunscreen
- Running shoes and workout outfit
- Shoe bag (which can convert into a laundry bag!)
- Cash (in the currency of wherever you’re travelling!)
- Travel speaker and earphones (noise-cancelling are preferred)
- Cozy pair of socks (to wear on the plane or to act as slippers in your hotel room)
- A sweater or a wrap
- Vitamins and prescriptions tucked into a toiletry bag
- Electronic chargers
- Roll all clothes!
- Pack delicates in a soft cloth bag (or shoe bag) to prevent damage and snags
- Stuff underwear and socks into your shoes to save space
- Place toiletry and liquid and gel bag in your carry on tote (for quick access through security)
- Have easy access to your boarding pass (so you are not fumbling at the gate)
- Passport, wallet, NEXUS (or TSA Pre) card
- Hotel and rental car/rental car insurance confirmations (get rental insurance from your local provider!)
- If taking a taxi or shuttle to the airport – book it the night before (for an early morning flight)
- Based on the time you need to be at the airport – schedule your ride considering rush hour or traffic delays
I am constantly learning to improve my “travel savvy” and often lean on my girlfriends for help. Have a travel tip you’d like to share? Let me know!
Photos: Scotch & Coffee
D by denise Journal is published bi-weekly. To subscribe and receive directly to your inbox click here.